Celebrating 100 years: 1908 - 2008
100 years: a long time in anyone's language.
Adelaide High School, the oldest Education Department Secondary School in South Australia and the first free High School in the Commonwealth, was founded in 1908 following the amalgamation of the Advanced School for Girls and the Pupil Teachers' School.
The name Adelaide High School was adopted on June 28, 1908 and the school was officially opened by the then Premier, Mr Tom Price, on September 24, 1908.
The school celebrated its Centenary in 2008 and a number of events were held to help commemorate the event. As well as traditional annual events such as the Leadership Assembly, the International Understandings Assembly, Open Night and the Conversazione, the school also celebrated with a Centenary Dinner at the Adelaide Convention Centre, a Civic Reception at Adelaide Town Hall, a Past and Present Staff Cocktail Party, a Cabaret Night, a display in the DECS Gallery and a Centenary Assembly and Lunch. Adelaide High School was also the host school for the annual Head of the River Regatta where crew members and the coach of the Adelaide Boys’ High School 1st VIII crew who won the Boys' 1st VIII race at Head of the River in 1958 christened the Club's new quad/4+, appropriately named Centenary.
As part of the Centenary Celebrations, a book was written documenting the 100 year history of Adelaide High School. Copies of the 174 page A4 book are still available from the school for $30 (GST inc). To order a copy of the Centenary Book, please contact the school.
T +61 8 8231 9373
F +61 8 8212 7827