Congratulations to Flora Rumbelow (Legge) who is the 2018 Vitae Medal Recipient.
Flora undertook her secondary education at Millicent High School (Years 8 – 11). At this time, not all secondary schools in South Australia offered Matriculation (Year 12), so students had to transfer to another school to complete their secondary education. Flora transferred to Adelaide Girls’ High School on February 6, 1962 to complete her final year of secondary schooling and was subsequently appointed as a Prefect.
Flora played Hockey and class Basketball for Adelaide Girls High School, and after Matriculating in 1962, commenced studies to be a secondary school teacher at Adelaide Teachers College in 1963.
During her teaching career Flora taught at Adelaide High, Glossop, Port Pirie, Urrbrae, Northfield, St Marks, Elliston and Ceduna. She was appointed to Adelaide High School as a Senior Student Counsellor in 1992 but then served as an Assistant Principal at Adelaide High School from 1994 – Term 1 2000. Flora was often seen with cleaning equipment or a paint brush to clean up the messy jobs no-one else wanted to touch or to remove graffiti from the toilets or school buildings. She always had the wellbeing of her students at heart and set up a Bushwalking Club at Adelaide High School, which ultimately led to Outdoor Education being taught as a subject. She also supported PE staff on Outdoor Education excursion and camps, even after her retirement.
Following this, Flora was Principal at Elliston Area School from Terms 2 – 4, 2000 where she also taught Woodwork. She then served as Principal of Ceduna Area School between 2001 – 2004 where she took a bus out each morning to pick up students, providing breakfast for them to eat on the bus on their way to school.
Flora contributes to the wider community in a range of ways:
- Justice of the Peace
- Tutor with SPELD
- Drives the community bus for her local Council, picking up residents to take them to appointments, shopping or on outings.
- Plays golf and held the position of Chair, Women’s Committee, Mt Osmond Golf Club and was on the Board at the Golf Club.
- Member of the Organising Committee for Adelaide High School’s Centenary celebrations in 2008.
- Old Scholars Committee from 2008 to present
- Organising Committee for Conversazione and compere of the function for several years.
- Looked after the Archives at Adelaide High School from 2008 to 2015
Flora’s contribution to Adelaide High School and education in South Australia has been significant. Flora truly reflects the essence of the Vitae Medal and her leadership has resulted in impact, influence and inspiration.