Year 8 Transition Program
Students attending Adelaide High school in Year 8 come from over ninety primary schools. At the start of the year it is important to provide opportunities for the students to develop working relationships with their peers and teachers.
During the beginning of Term 1, Year 8 students will be involved in an orientation program designed to assist in the transition from primary school to secondary school.
Students take part in a range of activities, including:
- Familiarisation of the Resource Centre
- Familiarisation of the school's ICT facilities
- Introduction to the House System
- Athletics Standards Day
- Peer Support Program run by Year 11 students
- Introduction to Rowing program
- Anti-Harassment and Cyber-bullying program
- SASI Talent Identification Testing
- Introduction to the School’s sports programs
- Tours of the school
- Introduction to student leadership and co-curricular activities
- Study Skills seminar
- Wellbeing sessions run by the Student Counsellors
- Introduction to the Pastoral Care Program
The students are also encouraged to take part in a 3 day aquatics camp at Horseshoe Bay, Pt Elliot, with accommodation at the Encounter Conference Centre, Victor Harbor. The camp is an essential part of the Transition Program. It provides students with the opportunity to develop relationships with staff, students and further develop aquatics skills.