The focus of the Year 8 Pastoral Care is well being and transitioning to High School. To achieve this goal the students participate in a range of programs including;
- Transition Program ( a 7 day program at the start of the new year)
- Year 8 camp to Victor Harbor
- Peer Leaders program
- Anti Harassment program
Another focus of the program is health and well being. The Adelaide High School Turn Your Health Around program is an inter-disciplinary course aimed at increasing student participation in physical activity and healthy eating habits. Students are encouraged to participate in;
- The Premier’s be active Challenge
- Turn Your Health Around Program
- The Duke of Edinburgh Award
- House competitions
At the end of Semester 2, the students prepare and present their Year 8 presentation, a collection of their learning from the year. Students highlight their learning style and comment on their literacy and numeracy skills to a panel including their Pastoral Care teachers and family members.
Subject Choice for Year 8 in 2016
At Year 8 students will study the following:
- English - full year
- Mathematics - full year
- Science - full year
- Language 1 - full year
- Language 2 - full year (compulsory for Special Language students, optional for all other students).
- Health & Physical Education - 1 semester
- The Arts - 1 semester for Special and Double Language students and up to a full year for all other students.
- Design & Technology - 1 semester
- History - 1 semester
- Home Economics - up to 1 semester depending on Language program
Subjects offered in The Arts include: Art, Drama, Music.
Students who have entered the school via the Cricket program take part in PE-Cricket as one of their subjects, while students entering via the Rowing programs take part in Rowing-PE.