Members of Council are elected for a two year period of office at the annual meeting of parents held in March, with the tenure of half of the parents ending each year.
Staff and student representatives are elected annually to hold positions on the Council for a one year period.
The Council welcomes interested members of the wider community with specific expertise to join and to assist the Council or its sub committees. We understand that people are committed to many activities these days, but any time that can be spared to help in any Council activity is greatly appreciated.
The Adelaide High School Governing Council works in partnership with the staff at the school to ensure effective governance and management. The Governing Council aims to ensure relationships between parents, students and staff are positive and trusting, and supports the focus on achieving constructive outcomes for our children. The Adelaide High School Governing Council operates within the guidelines and conditions outlined in the South Australian Association of State School Organisations (SAASSO) Handbook and a locally developed framework for Strategic Planning and Local Management.
The role of the Governing Council is to:
- Approve policy supporting achievement of the School’s Vision and Priorities
- Approve decisions regarding governance and management and resources, including finance, within the framework of the Adelaide High School Strategic Planning and Local Management document ( approved at the May, 2008 Governing Council meeting)
- Employ a Canteen Manager and oversee all matters regarding the School Canteen
- Make decisions regarding the school uniform, taking into consideration the recommendations of the Governing Council Uniform Sub-Committee
- Provide advice to the school on implementation plans which affect students, curriculum, resources, student support services and student and community life.
The Governing Council supported the decision for the School to undertake the Council of International Schools (CIS) accreditation process. The review by the team of international teachers accredited Adelaide High School as an international standard school. This is a great credit to the whole School community and celebrates the pride the students, staff and its community takes in Adelaide High School.
Our Governing Council Constitution states:
- The Council is to work in joint responsibility with the Principal to perform the following functions:
- Involve the school community in the governance of the school to strengthen and support public education in the community
- Participate in setting the broad direction, vision and strategic plan and policies of the school
- Determine the application of the total financial resources available to the school
- Monitor and review the Site Learning Plan
- Report to the school community and the Minister for Education and Child Development on the strategic plan, the finances and operational plans of the school, including the Council’s operations.
The Governing Council also works directly with the District Director to conduct an annual appraisal of the Principal.
In order to focus our work, we have developed a Code of Practice for the Adelaide High School Governing Council.
The Code of Practice states:
- To ensure effective governance of Adelaide High School, we will work within the framework of the Adelaide High School Strategic Planning document and
- Behave honestly and with integrity
- Participate in an induction process to learn about the operation of the Governing Council.
- Regularly attend meetings.
- Listen and respect a diversity of opinion.
- Take actions which respond to the range of needs within the school community.
- Publicly support Council decisions.
- Actively contribute to discussion and debate.
- Involve ourselves in the work of Council sub-committees.
- Consider the culture, traditions and priorities of Adelaide High School as part of our decision-making and when planning for the future.
- Communicate our views, decisions and school involvement to the wider school community.
- Work in partnership with the school’s leadership team to provide advice.
- Work in partnership with the school’s leadership team to make decisions.
Governing Council Chairperson